A New Normal: Travel 2021

Join me as we begin again- as we discover a new way to travel- a safer- more cautious way. May we appreciate every single day we have and not forget what isolation and fear and separation required of us.

Sunday, May 13, 2018

May 12-13 Travel to Athens

Saturday May 13, 2011

The phone rings, “This is American Airlines calling regarding your flight tomorrow. We have oversold the flight and are looking for individuals to volunteer to either be downgraded to economy or upgraded to first class on another flight with a compensation payment.” I respond, “No thank you I am not interested.” I get off the phone and Georges phone rings, “ This is American Airlines calling regarding your flight tomorrow. We have changed equipment and are looking for individuals to volunteer to either be downgraded to economy or upgraded to first class on another flight with a compensation payment.” George responds, “No thank you.” Who knows what is true, but we did not want to delay our trip or take a chance of being downgraded!

We spend the morning preparing and packing and brainstorming on some projects before heading to the airport. Anxiously awaiting the official start of this trip we wait in the Admirals club and head to the gate. The plane is very new and the accommodations are perfect. Ollie, you would have loved it! Many movies, including your favorites are there for us to listen to all night as we fly to Athens. It will take us 9 hours and we will gain 8 hours over the east coast, 9 from the Midwest

From our balcony! Temple of Olympic Zeus
May 14-Happy Mothers Day

My ice trays- travel wisdom!
George is headed too his nieces recital so I have the day to myself to get settled in. I arrive at the apartment and am met by our host and given a multitude of instructions. Of interest is that you turn the circuit breaker on for hot water 30 minutes before your shower and then turn it off. Also is the fact you put all toilet paper in the trash can next to the stool. The ancient sewage systems can’t handle the paper in Greece. So tired I take a shower and find my way to the store-I grab a frozen pizza and try to figure out how to cook it given all directions are in Greek. I was smart and brought two ice trays from the dollar store- Europeans see little value in iced drinks- and I see great value in it- so I shall make us ice while we are here- something I have not done since I was a kid. 

Electric box- red one is for hot water
Out the balcony of the apartment we can see the Temple of the Olympic Zeus. This temple started in 6th century BC and took 638 years to build! At its opening it  had 104 columns- today we still see 15 standing- pretty good for more than 2000 years old! 

After a 3 hour nap I get an email from George- apparently he lost his passport and phone in the cab on the way to his apartment- looks like he will have to get a new passport in the morning. I can’t imagine the frustration! Lucky we have time before he needs it to go to Switzerland.

I venture out for some sun and exploration. Our place is 5 minutes from the Acropolis, Plaka and Acropolis Museum, it is so convenient. I walk the Plaka and get some dinner, meatballs and cheese crochets. On the way I pass Hadrians Arch, an entryway into the grounds of the Temple of Olympic Zeus. Back home to try and stay awake until 9pm. 

Hadrians Arch

Shopping on the Plaka on a beautiful day!
Dinner of appetizers


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment